Call for Papers: Byzantine Heritage in the History and Spiritual
Culture of Ukraine, October 19 – 22, 2017, Monastery of St Theodore Studites,
Deadline: 25th August 2017.
The International Conference Byzantine heritage in the history and spiritual culture of
Ukraine aims to become a platform for the sharing of knowledge. The conference will
involve the systematic discussion and promotion of the following themes:
- Byzantine spiritual heritage in the history of Ukraine-Rus’ and Eastern churches of the Kievan tradition
- the role and influence of the Byzantine Empire in the formation of Ukrainian national identity
- spiritual culture
- publishing and literature
- theological and philosophical thought
- religious traditions
Suggested topics for the conference:
1. Byzantium – Kievan Rus: historical, spiritual and cultural interconnection.
2. Byzantine hesychasm in the tradition of monasticism, and in the culture and
spiritual life of Ukraine-Rus’.
3. The Byzantine Fathers of the Church and the distribution of their books in
4. Byzantine heritage in literature, art, theological and philosophical
thought, in liturgical science and in the church tradition of Ukraine.
5. “Studion” and its role in reviving the Byzantine Stoudite tradition of the Greek
Catholic Church (contribution by Metropolitan Andrey Sheptytsky and Patriarch
6. Byzantine heritage in the traditions of modern Ukrainian monasticism.
7. The current state of Byzantines in Ukraine.
Working languages of the conference: Ukrainian, English, Italian.
The organizers will provide free accommodation and meals for participants during
the conference. There are plans to publish the results of the conference in the
scientific collection Sofia of Kiev: Byzantium. Russia. Ukraine.
The conference will allow for full-time and part-time participation.
How to apply:
The submission should indicate title of paper and author information (name,
surname, academic degree, title or position, address, home or mobile phone, email,
The e-mail address of the Organizing Committee is email@example.com