The British Archaeological Association are now welcoming paper proposals for BAA organised sessions at the 2021 International Medieval Congress at the University of Leeds (5 -8 July 2021).
The IMC’s research theme for 2021 is “Climates”, a topic which can be interpreted in numerous ways:
- Medieval concepts of ‘climes’ and ‘climate’
- Cosmologies, world views, natural or supernatural causation
- Ecocriticism, critical race theory, indigenous knowledge, ecofeminism, queer ecology
- Weather and weathering
- Medieval enquiry into weather, seasons, monsoon patterns
- Astronomical and astrological observations and predictions
- Agriculture, pastoralism, modification of landscapes, exploitation of resources, inequality, colonialism
- Environmental determinism, medieval histories of modern inequalities
- Societal organisation, hierarchy, law- making, governance
- Applying paradigms of adaption, resilience, and collapse
- Ecosystems, entanglements, human and non-human agency
- ‘Climates’ of opinion, thought, feeling
- Disease, pathogens, and microbes
- Relationships between climate change and human history
- Interdisciplinarity and integration of historical climate and environmental data
- ‘Provincialising Europe’: Writing history on the ‘planetary’ or biospheric scale
- ’Climates’ and interregional connectivities, interdependencies and disconnections
- Fluctuations in migration, mobility, trade, exchange, and transmission
- Seas, oceans, rivers, monsoon, floods as dynamic spaces
- Medievalists, politics, climate justice, pedagogy, and activism
- Preservation of material remains amid growing climate and societal instability
A full list of suggested topics and more details can be found here: https://www.imc.leeds.ac.uk/2021-climates/
It is hoped that we can organise several sessions once again, with similar papers grouped together (either methodologically or by subject).
Proposals should consist of a paper title, your affiliation, and a short abstract (50-100 words).
Please send paper proposals to Harriet Mahood (email@example.com) by Monday 21st September 2020.