We are delighted to announce that registration is now open for “Opening the Sacred Text: Meaning, Materiality, Historiography”. Bringing together scholars from around the world, we will explore the decorative frontispieces and so-called carpet pages that are a remarkable feature of manuscripts from diverse cultures, including Islam, Judaism and Christianity.
The conference will be online, via Zoom, and we’ll send out a Zoom link to registered participants nearer the time.
The conference will run over three days (Monday 21 February 2022 – Wednesday 23 February 2022), with a 2pm GMT start each day. We hope that the timing and the online format will make the conference accessible to as many people as possible.
Confirmed speakers include:
- Stewart J. Brookes: “Carpet Pages: What?”
- Christine Bachman: “Holistic Visions: Connecting Book Covers and Ornamental Pages in Early Medieval Manuscripts”
- William Endres, “An Insular Meditative Sequence: Sorting Out the Evolving Complexity of Interplay among Cross-Carpet and Other Decorative Pages as Preparation for Entering a Gospel”
- Carol Farr, “Unravelling the Insular Carpet Page: Needs and Responses in Book Art”
- Elina Gertsman, “Untethered Image”
- Jacopo Gnisci, “Woven Prayers: Carpet Pages in Ethiopian Manuscripts”
- Dalia-Ruth Halperin, “Reciprocal Ties Between the Calligraphic Frames in Sefardi Bibles and the Text and Images in their Micrography Carpets: Variant Regional Emphasis”
- Julie Harris, “The Sense of an Ending: Finispieces in the Iberian Bible Codices”
- Eva Hoffman, “The “Carpet Page”: A Space of Exchange Between Religion and Culture”
- Cailah Jackson, “Opening the Islamic Book in Medieval Konya: Illuminated Pointed Ovals and Their Possible Sources”
- Elvira Martín-Contreras, “Decorative and Textual: Carpet Pages in the Earliest Hebrew Bible Codices”
- Bernard Meehan, “Roman Mosaics, Early Christian Architecture and the Books of Durrow and Kells”
- Georgi Parpulov, “‘The Frontispiece Miniatures of the Oldest Arabic Gospel Book”
- Anastasija Ropa, “Ornamental Frontispieces in Slavic Orthodox Gospels”
- Rose Walker, “Opening Iberian Sacred Books from the Tenth to the Early Thirteenth Centuries”
- Laura McCloskey Wolfe, “Mimesis and Metamorphosis in Irish Manuscript Illumination: A Comparative Analysis of Metalwork Techniques and Textual Decoration in the Book of Durrow”
Register for this conference here.