The Culture of the Upper Rhine Valley
in the Late Middle Ages and Early Renaissance
21 March 2014 at the Warburg Institute
Organised by: Cornelia Linde (German Historical Institute), Nigel F. Palmer (Oxford), Stephen Mossman (Liverpool) and Peter Mack (Warburg Institute)
Speakers: Martina Backes (Freiburg), Sigrid Harbodian (Tubingen), Nikolaus Henkel (Hamburg), Stephen Mossman (Liverpool), Balázs J. Nemes (Freiburg) and Annette Volfing (Oxford)
Thursday, 20 March 2014
German Historical Institute, 17 Bloomsbury Square, London WC1A 2NJ
Nigel F. Palmer (Oxford): The Literary History of the Upper Rhine in the Later Middle Ages: Carthusians, Dominican Nuns and Knights Hospitaller.
Followed by reception
Friday, 21 March
Warburg Institute, Woburn Square, London WC1H 0AB
10.00 Registration and Coffee
Stephen Mossman (Manchester): Religious Writing in the German South-West in the Age of Ruusbroec
Martina Backes (Freiburg): Retelling the Bible: The Illustrated Manuscripts of “Der saelden hort”
Sigrid Hirbodian (Tübingen): Female Proponents and Opponents of Monastic Reform. Strategies and Agency of Religious Women in the Reforms of the 15th Century
Annette Volfing (Oxford): Johannes Geiler von Kaysersberg and Late Medieval Contemplative Practice
Balázs J. Nemes (Freiburg): Lost in Transmission? – Heinrich Laufenberg in Song-Books of the 15th Century
Nikolaus Henkel (Hamburg): Sebastian Brant as an Academic Lawyer, Editor, and Poet at the Time of theNarrenschiff (Basel 1494)
5.00 Concluding Discussion
On the evening before the conference, on Thursday, 20 March 2014, there will be a talk by Nigel Palmer at the German Historical Institute on “The Literary History of the Upper Rhine in the later Middle Ages: Carthusians, Dominican Nuns and Knights Hospitaller”.
Illustration: Anonymous, German, Upper Rhine, 15th century, Saint Bernard Vanquishing the Devil
Fees and Registration
Unless otherwise stated conferences fees (which include coffee/tea, and a sandwich lunch) are as follows:
· One day conferences: £25 (£12.50 concessionary rate for full-time students/retired)
· Two day conferences: £40 (£25 for concessionary rate for full-time students/retired)
To check the details please visit the individual webpage for the conference you are interested in.
Conference catering: We provide a range of meat/fish and vegetarian rolls/sandwiches for lunch. If you have other dietary requirements please email warburg(at)sas.ac.uk at least ten days before the conference so that we can try to cater for your needs.
Registering and paying for a conference/course
Please note that in order to attend Institute conferences you need to register and pay online in advance (except where otherwise instructed for a limited number of free conferences). Our Lecture Room can only accommodate 90 people and our conferences are often fully booked in advance. If you come to a conference without booking and paying in advance you may be disappointed.
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER ONLINE
NB: online registration closes 24 HOURS BEFORE the start of each conference
If you are registering for a 2 day conference but only wish to attend for one day, please email warburg(at)sas.ac.ukto register. In your email please say which day of the conference you wish to attend and whether you are standard or concessionary rate (as explained above under Conference fees).
If you are unable to pay online, you can pay by cheque or cash in advance of the conference, but only if you are based in the UK. Attendees from outside the UK must pay online in advance.
· To pay by cheque: please send your cheque made out to The University of London with a note of your name, email, phone number, name of your institution if relevant, and the name of the conference you wish to attend to: Warburg Events, The Warburg Institute, Woburn Square, London WC1H 0AB.
· To pay in cash: please visit the Institute to pay on weekdays from 10.00 to 13.00, or 14.00 to 17.00.
If you have any queries about the registration process please email: warburg(at)sas.ac.uk or see the instructions below.
Tips about registering online:
·Tick the Select Course box(es) for the event(s) you wish to attend
· Click on Book Selected Courses and register if you are a first time visitor, or log in if you have registered before
· Once registered, click Add Attendee for the first event you wish to attend
· Click Use My Customer Details on right of page to automatically fill in your registration form
· Click Continue and select the relevant price depending on your status
· Repeat for another event if relevant, and then follow the instructions to complete your registration.
If you have any queries about the registration process please email: warburg(at)sas.ac.uk