The church of St Mary the Virgin, Battle, was established by Abbot Ralph c. 1115 on the battlefield of 1066. The church includes a magnificent transitional nave, a rare wall painting of St Margaret of Antioch of c.1300 and the gilded and painted alabaster tomb of Sir Anthony Browne (1548) who acquired the abbey at the Dissolution. The earliest surviving brass is for Sir John Lowe (1426) with a distinctive memento mori inscription
Brasses for the deans of Battle; Robert Clere, engraved c.1430, and John Wythines, Vice-Chancellor of the University of Oxford, and Dean of Battle for 42 years, who died in 1615 are to be found north and south area of the sanctuary respectively.
This meeting, on Saturday 28th March 2015, is free for members and non-members of the Society.
by Martin Stuchfield, President of the Monumental Brass Society
2.05p.m. St Mary’s Church Battle
by Clifford Braybrooke
2.30p.m. The Brasses of Battle Church
by Robert Hutchinson
3.00p.m. The Monument to Sir Anthony Browne and his wife, Alice Gage
by Nigel Llewellyn
3.30p.m. Tour of the church and viewing of the brasses and monuments led by Pat Roberts
The Church will be open prior to the meeting.
St Mary’s Church is located in Upper Lake in the centre of Battle with ample parking in the vicinity. The postcode for satellite navigation is TN33 0AN. The nearest station is Battle (served from London: London Bridge).