Saturday, 17th October 2015 at 2.00p.m.
The church of St Mary Magdalene, Newark-on-Trent, is a product of the ‘building boom’ of the 14th and 15th centuries. The townsmen and their families were the principal benefactors of the church paying for the reconstruction, providing its furnishings and establishing personal chantries and memorials to aid their way to salvation. The earliest surviving brass is the magnificent Flemish brass for the merchant Adam Fleming (1361) one of the foremost merchant monuments of the fourteenth century.
Brasses for other townsmen John Boston (1540) and William Phyllpott (1557) are to be found in the south choir aisle. To the south of the high altar is the Chantry Chapel for the Robert Markham complete with early sixteenth century panels depicting ‘The Dance of Death’ complete with a dancing skeleton.
by Martin Stuchfield, President of the Monumental Brass Society
2.05p.m. The Church of St Mary Magdalene Newark
by Philip Dixon
2.30p.m. ‘Tis the sheep have paid for all’: Merchant Commemoration in Late Medieval Newark
by John Lee
3.00p.m. Adam Fleming and his Brass: Context and Meaning
by Paul Cockerham
Members will have an opportunity to view the church and its monuments before. Tea will be available at the conclusion of the day with donations going towards the maintenance and running of the church.
The Church will be open prior to the meeting.
This meeting is free for members and non-members of the Society but registration is required by contacting the Hon. Secretary, Christian Steer, 8 Shefford Lodge, Link Road, Newbury, Berkshire, RG14 7LR (e: email@example.com).
The church dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene is located in Church Walk in the centre of Newark. The postcode for satellite navigation is NG24 1JS. The nearest station is Newark North Gate (served from London: Kings Cross) with a walking distance of 0.6 miles (12 minutes).